Location: Washington, DC
Stewards of Affordable Housing for the Future (SAHF) is a network of twelve of the largest not-for-profit owners and developers of affordable multifamily properties in the country. As a nonprofit focused on preservation of affordable multifamily housing, SAHF has long recognized that reductions in energy consumption enhance a property’s net operating income and preserve housing. SAHF Energy (a division of SAHF) manages an array of demonstration efforts to spur innovation and inform policy at the state and national levels. SAHF provides energy services to its members through information sharing, development of technical assistance and financing tools and collaborations with best-in-class energy industry leaders. SAHF is seeking an experienced Energy Program Associate to join the SAHF Energy team and continue SAHF’s leadership role.
An important aspect of the position is management of an existing grant. The EZ Retrofit program will develop and implement a simplified approach to energy retrofits of low-income multifamily housing. It combines the development and use of an analytic tool and a one-stop shop approach to energy retrofits that will include access to low-cost capital via a loan fund that is being established. The analytic tool, which has been initially developed, focuses on a limited number of energy conservation measures which have been demonstrated to be particularly cost-effective in low-income multifamily housing. See below for a full description of position responsibilities.
About the Ideal Candidate
As one of the leading innovators in affordable multifamily energy efficiency, SAHF is looking for a dynamic individual with strong technical and analytic skills. Specifically, the ideal candidate would posses:
- a strong understanding of building energy efficiency,
- an understanding of affordable housing and the challenges owners/managers face, demonstrated project management experience, including capabilities suited to detailed management of external consultants, contracting, budget management, and federal grant reporting,
- ability to take initiative, work on multiple projects simultaneously, and see discrete projects through to completion,
- knowledge of energy conservation measure installation, benchmarking tools, key industry organizations such as utilities and service providers,
- entrepreneurial abilities to quickly assess market needs, develop partnerships, and oversee delivery of specific energy and sustainability services. Interest in developing new energy efficiency products and policies applicable to the affordable multifamily sector
SAHF is known for its deep relationships with national policy leaders and practitioners in affordable housing. These relationships position SAHF to be involved in high-profile energy savings, financing, and industry-leading initiatives that an ideal candidate should be excited to contribute to and potentially lead.
Manage the day-to-day operations and broader vision for the development of the EZ Retrofit initiative
- Manage subcontractors in charge of developing and refining the EZ Retrofit Tool, implementation of measurement and verification of utility savings, resident engagement programming and other technical assistance
- Build relationships with SAHF members (property/asset managers), explain benefits of participation in the EZ Retrofit program and support them as they use the EZ Retrofit Tool, make decisions about scopes of work, hire contractors, implement retrofits, and measure and verify utility savings
- Work closely with a financial partner to develop and implement the loan fund that will be established for the 5-10 properties that will participate in the EZ Retrofit initiative
- Build relationships with contractors and oversee the installation of various energy conservation measures.
- Manage the project budget and comply with HUD and other reporting requirements
- Develop a strategy for sharing the EZ Retrofit Tool after it has been tested and refined
Build relationships with SAHF members, and in particular the energy and asset managers in SAHF’s Energy Peer Group to
- Facilitate information sharing about water conservation, energy efficiency and renewable energy projects
- Participate in SAHF demonstration projects
- Provide direction to future SAHF energy initiatives
Manage on-going partnerships SAHF has with technical assistance providers and other industry-leading organizations
Lead new energy and sustainability-related initiatives as priorities evolve
- Minimum 3-5 years related experience in energy efficiency efforts which could include working for or with energy services providers, utilities, or owners of housing with an interest in energy management.
- Advanced degree in related field (can be fulfilled by 1-2 years of additional experience)
- Strong project management, ANALYSIS, and organizational skills
- Self-motivated team player with strong written and verbal communications skills
- Knowledge of, or experience in, the affordable multifamily housing industry desired
- Experience with utility programs a strong plus
- Knowledge of energy reduction tools (e.g. use of renewables and tenant engagement), major private and public sector players, and efforts to incentivize owners to participate in energy reduction efforts.
- SAHF is an equal opportunity employer where diversity is considered an asset.
- To apply, please visit http://bit.ly/SAHFEnergyJob and submit a cover letter and detailed resume.
- Salary range is $50,000 to $70,000 commensurate with experience.
- The position will be filled as soon as possible. Unfortunately, we are unable to speak personally with everyone who contacts us. Candidates demonstrating ability that match our current needs will be contacted for an interview.